This morning I had a gentleman from my oil company come out to see what we could do to eliminate SOME of the heating oil we use. Last winter – and on into April – we used 2200 gallons. Which is astronomical. I’m not sure that’s the exact count but it is HIGH. And we weren’t even warm. Only once in a while would I raise the thermostat over 60.
So we have some hope here. We’re going to look at adding a mini-split heat pump/ac unit to the downstairs to eliminate heating the place we normally hang out. It will supplement the oil and hopefully save a bundle. We’re also going to install an on-demand hot water heater so we don’t pull water off the boiler any more. This costs around $1,000 a year just for hot water.
This will all work out if 1) the electric company approves me putting it on my bill (whimper please) and 2) if I can sell enough stuff to pay for the installation and unit for the hot water. I need this to happen so I am going to do everything I can. Except fight the world.
And here’s an update – after the heating guy left – I went upstairs to the sewing room and threaded the serger. It worked! I now know how to do this ………….. I am so proud I didn’t give up after the first day …………..